Thursday, February 26, 1976

Postmarked February 26, 1946

Shanghai, China
Feb. 25, 1945 [1946]

Dear Folks,

As you can see, I am still aboard the "Samar" and probably will be for at least several more days. It's the old story of no transportation. The receiving ship, aboard which men are processed for return to the states is jam-packed. Some of the boys from the Samar who left the 9th of Feb. are still waiting for a ship, so you can see what the situation is. I had high hopes of celebrating my 20th birthday at sea on the way back, but chances for that look very slim indeed. Of course, the whole situation can change over-night, so, as I've said so many time before, we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.

I haven't had any mail from you recently but I guess you got my letter telling you not to write any more.

Reading and hearing about all the strikes and other troubles, I am wondering what kind of a country we will be coming back too. Not to mention international complications. It seems to me that truman is lousing up the works. I guess he's doing his best, but he isn't big enough man to fill Roosevelt's shoes.

That's about all so I'll close for now and hope that my next letter will be from the receiving ship or better yet from a transport ready to get underway.

All my love,

Paul

No comments: